- An applicant or the spouse must be 65 or older; or be 100% disabled (per Social Security);
- Must have lived in Connecticut for 1 year.
- Total 2017 income which includes Social Security must not exceed:
- Thirty-five percent of the applicant’s annual rent must exceed 5% of the applicant’s income.
- In a one-person household, income can be NO greater than $34,366. In a two-person household, income can be NO greater than $44,941.
- If you are a renter, the first $12,000.00 in liquid assets is disregarded. Any amount over that limit, when added to the annual gross income must be below the income guidelines.
- If you are a homeowner, the first $15,000.00 in liquid assets is disregarded. Any amount over that limit, when added to the annual gross income must be below the income guidelines.
- Personal Identification and Social Security Number
- Copies of your 2016 Federal and Connecticut tax returns, and
- All 2017 income reports that have been received (SSA-1099 forms, all 1099 forms, W-2 forms, Unemployment Compensation Forms, all other Forms that indicate Federal and/or Connecticut income taxes were paid in 2017), and
- Any documentation showing original cost of sold assets in 2017.
w/Audiology Concierge – Nancy Jablonski
This monthly clinic will consist of free hearing tests,
hearing aid checks, wax inspection, and listening demonstrations.
Appointments are required and begin at 10am. Appointments are 45 minutes.
Please call to schedule your appointment at 860-739-5859.
TAX RELIEF FOR ELDERLY AND TOTALLY DISABLED RENTERS
The Renter Rebate Program through the State of CT provides a rebate for renters who are elderly or disabled. Applications for the Renters Rebate Program are available starting April 1st and ending October 1st. Please call the Senior Center for an appointment. In order to receive a renter rebate:
or be 50 and a surviving spouse.
Proof of income received and rent and utility payments made in calendar year 2017 must be provided.
If you collect Social Security, you must provide your SSA1099 for 2017.
Please be advised that the fuel delivery authorization deadline for the CT Energy Assistance Program has been extended from Thursday, March 15th, 2018 to Tuesday, April 3rd, 2018.
Applications for the Connecticut Energy Assistance Program are being taken at the New London office of TVCCA. Appointments are required. Please call 860-444-0006. The Senior Center office will assist the Senior and Disabled population of East Lyme with their applications. You must call the Senior Center
office to obtain your appointment. Documentation will be required in order to apply for this program. You can get information about what needs to be provided by calling the Senior Center office at 860-739-5859.
To be eligible:
Please remember all members of the household who receive income must report their income.
The State of Connecticut offers a state run Elderly Tax Benefit known as the Circuit Breaker. It is for
eligible real estate taxpayers with the Town of East Lyme. To apply, you must have reached the age of 65 prior to December 31, 2017 or be totally disabled if under the age of 65. You are applying for a credit on the taxes due on your primary residence in East Lyme. Under the law, Social Security income MUST be declared and the program requires you to provide information regarding all GROSS income received during 2017. The new income limit, including GROSS income and Social Security:
$43,000 for married couples and $35,300 for single persons.
LOCAL TAX CREDIT OPTION:
Also, the Town of East Lyme provides on Additional Tax Relief for elderly and totally
disabled homeowners. For further information, contact the Assessor’s Office at the Town Hall.
Filing dates for the above programs are February 1, through May 15, 2017.
Applications available at the Assessor’s Office in the East Lyme Town Hall. There is also a Veteran’s Exemption that is available. For more information, contact the Assessor’s Office.
It’s time to start organizing your paperwork. The AARP Tax-Aide program provides tax counseling and preparation for middle to low-income taxpayers with special attention to those people aged 60 and over. This service is free. The Tax Advisors are available for the months of February, March and April on Monday and Friday mornings at 9am beginning February 2nd. Appointments must be made by calling the Senior Center. Taxpayers are asked to provide their: