- Look on Craigslist. They have a “free” listing under “for sale”.
- Facebook has any number of resale/yard sale pages.
- Free Hunting and fishing licenses if you are 65+.
- State parks + CT registration = free entrance. This is now included in our car registrations.
- Some Banks offer free checking and more.
- Free college tuition if you are 62+. Finish your degree. Take classes that interest you.
- Income tax returns – free with AARP trained preparers- check local senior centers for appt.
- Save 5-10% off your auto ins for taking a driving class – check senior center for AARP class.
- Retention dept for utilities – reduction for staying with that provider. This will take some time – maybe a half hour – but the discount will last 12-24 months.
- Prescription assistance for non-covered unaffordable meds – ask at your doctor’s office and ask your pharmacist.
- Legal assistance is available from several resources. Call 1-800-296-1467 or 1-800-453-3320 to get started.
- Your library – free and reduced passes to museums and attractions, e-books, e-audio.
- Discounts at restaurants and stores – one example is Kohl’s 15% every Wed for those 60+.
- Community Resources – Call or visit your Area Agency on Aging, Senior Centers or your Town’s Municipal Agent.
- Call your Town Hall. Town Clerks are a wealth of information.
- Don’t forget calling 211 – 211ct.org
Call for an appointment. Thank you
Oh, I don’t have time.
Nope I can’t afford it.
It’s too expensive.
Who will take care of the dog?
I can’t because my husband, mother, sister isn’t feeling well.
I have to be available for my grandchildren.
There is no one else.
Next time I will.
Next year I will.
After I retire I will.
Yes, I really really want to but….
Have you heard and or said these things?
Is this what stops you from doing the things you dream about? The things you want to do?
Is this what stops you from making that bucket list.
Well you know what – there will come a time when you really won’t be able to do those things. It will be when your spouse or traveling partner is dead. When you have lost the ability to travel. When you truly have no money left because you gave it all to the kids.
So, change all of those things. Stop being that person who always has a reason to not do something. Become the person who is out and about. The person executing the plans.
My in-laws died before they could do any of the above things because they always had those reasons of why not to and unfortunately, they both died within 3 months of each other in their late 60’s.
My husband and I learned to get out there and travel, remodel the house, visit relatives, learn new things, question our wants and needs.
Live in the now. Don’t delay! Make your plans for 2019! Be present.
And you know what you’ll be happier. You’ll enjoy life more. You’ll have new stories to tell. And you’ll find more things you can and want to do. Get out there and enjoy life.
Paper Towels and Sugar
Ensure is always needed for those in need.
Don’t we all want something for nothing? Do you look for the bargains and ways to stretch every dollar? I’m drawn to the clearance signs like a bee to honey! So, I’ve come up with this list of discounts and free stuff for seniors, veterans and everyone else. And remember if you don’t ask you miss out.
17 Browse the internet. Check any number of websites. BUT be sure to check the date for when the article was published to help judge if the information is current.
Need help this winter with heating costs??
We are taking applications for Energy Assistance at the senior center. Call to make your appointment and let your friends and family know too!!
Don’t be left out in the cold.