Get Out There!! – Content by Judy

    New Age???

    New Time???

    New Start???

    Do any of us know what to call this time we are now living? I can’t figure it out myself. I just know I’ll never live a ‘normal’ life again. That was before COVID. Now I just know things a different and I need to create the life I want to live.

    Things will be different because we are different. But how do we want this new ‘different’ to look? Should we be making a new plan? Finding new avenues? Reassessing those things we wanted but didn’t do before?

    My husband and I started a list several months ago of things we were going to do after COVID. On it I added go to bars. My husband said, “But we don’t go to bars!” “No, but we’re going to start because it’s something new and different. Who knows we might even like them!” So, we’ll see…

    That’s sort of a silly example of trying something new. Going somewhere we might be uncomfortable. Experiencing a new environment. But it will get us engaged in a new way and who knows we might even make new friends or find people we used to know.

    I want all of you to experience that new day. A new start. For you to act and move forward. Even if you don’t know what ‘IT’ is. Work on ‘IT’. Figure ‘IT’ out. Make a plan. Pick a day of each week to try something new.

    It can be as simple as enjoying a cup of coffee in a new place. You’re not alone. There will be others looking for the same things you are looking for. Say hello as you walk by. You just need to get out there.

    The next day maybe go for a walk. Then reach out and ask someone to go out to eat or visit a museum. Even if they can’t go then, see if they want to meet up another time. I can almost guarantee they do! They are lonely too. Invite a few friends and family over for a game night or a cookout. Reach out to an old friend you haven’t seen in a while. Put yourself out there. Volunteer. Go to the library. Join the gym. Sign up for a class at the Senior Center.

    And if a few things don’t go as you thought they would, remember it’s ok. You’re trying. Finding a new path can be hard and it will take time. But you just might end up in a totally different place than what you thought you wanted. And it can be even better than you ever imagined!!

    So be sure to remember aging is a privilege. A time to explore. A time for growth. A time make new connections with new people and places.

    As we travel into this new world don’t forget to reinvent yourself and your life!!

    Farmer’s Market Coupons- Will be distributed on: Wednesday, July 22nd from 10:00am

    Farmer’s Market Coupons

    Sign up with Receptionist!  Will be distributed on: Wednesday, July 22nd from 10:00am

    Farmer’s Market coupons are available to low income seniors who meet certain eligibility requirements.

    You must meet the following Eligibility Requirements in order to receive a coupon booklet:

    ¨ You must be 60 years or older.

    ¨ Yearly income not to exceed $23,828 for single or $32,227 for couple.

    ¨ Must be participating in another need based program that verifies income eligibility such as Renter’s Rebate, Congregate Meal Program, Medicaid, SNAP (Foodstamps), etc.

    ¨ You must be a resident of the town you receive the coupon booklet from.

    ¨ If you are under 60 and disabled you must meet all other eligibility requirements and live in subsidized housing to be eligible.

    Limit of one coupon booklet per eligible senior annually.



    COVID-19 vaccination has opened to all individuals 16 years of age and older who live, work, or attend school in Connecticut.
    Please remain patient when trying to schedule an appointment

    COVID-19 Vaccine Appointment Assistant Line 1-877-918-2224
    Uncas Health District 860-823-1189

    Call the Senior Center with questions or for a ride  860-376-2329


    Connecticut law provides for a $3,000 assessment exemption for taxpayers who are legally blind. Proof of the blindness (certification by a qualified medical practitioner) must be presented to the Assessor prior to October 1 in order for the exemption to be applied to that assessment year’s tax bill.
    Connecticut law also provides for a $1,000 exemption for totally disabled persons who are receiving benefits under a federal, state or local retirement plan, which contains requirements comparable to those of the Social Security Administration. Proof of disability must be presented to the Assessor prior to October 1 in order for the exemption to be applied to that assessment year’s taxes.
    Homeowners who are totally disabled may also be qualified for tax credits under the State-sponsored Homeowners Program even if they have not reached age 65. Please refer to the information in this brochure under the title “Property Tax Credits for Senior and Disabled Persons.”


    Property tax credits from $150 to $1,250 from total tax are available for low-income seniors or disabled homeowners on their primary residence. Eligibility for the “Homeowner’s Program” is based on the following criteria:
    Property owner who is at least 65 years old as of December 31 proceeding the filing period or is at least 50 years old and the widow(er) of a previously approved applicant is eligible. Totally disabled taxpayers regardless of age may also be eligible upon presentation of a Social Security Award Letter or an SSA-1099 with Medicare premiums, or proof of benefits comparable to those of the Social Security Administration. Property must be owned or held in “life use” by the applicant as of October 1 of the year prior to the application period and at the time of application.

    Income limits are determined annually by the State of Connecticut.* “Income” is considered income from all sources, including tax-exempt interest and Social Security. The income limit for the 2019 tax year is $45,100 for couples and $37,000 for single applicants. Applications must be renewed every two years between February 1 and May 15. Applicants must bring with them copies of their Federal Income Tax (if filed) and their SSA-1099. If taxes are not filed, applicant must provide statements of all income sources (pensions, interest income, SSA-1099, etc.)

    *Qualifying Income thresholds are based on Connecticut Office of Policy & Management guidelines set annually.