The Town of Preston is sponsoring a Pop-Up Drive-Thru Food Pantry on
Friday, May 7th and June 4th from 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
The program is sponsored by United Community & Family Services, Gemma
Moran Labor Food Bank, United Way, Charter Oak Bank, Eastern Bank, Norwich
Public Utilities and several other banking institutions. Their efforts make it
possible for us to lend a helping hand to our community.
Thanks also to the volunteers who do traffic control, pack groceries, deliver
food to the vehicles and make every single participant feel welcome!
March 31, 2021 is the Deadline for fuel authorizations or deliveries.
May 3, 2021 is the last day that a household can apply to establish its eligibility for benefits unless the household is utility heated and has a shut-off notice for its primary source of heat.
May 14, 2021 is the last day that a utility heated household with a shut-off notice for its primary heat can apply to establish its eligibility for benefits.
May 31st is the last day to submit deliverable fuel bills.
UniteCT is an emergency rental assistance for Connecticut’s economy. Have you been financially impacted by COVID-19? Are you struggling to pay your rent and utilities? Apply for UniteCT, a rental assistance program supporting CT residents who earn up to 80% of the HUD Area Median Income and their landlords. You may qualify for the opportunity to receiver…..Missed electric
outstanding payments, Missed rent or future rent payments. To learn more and see if you qualify, visit: www.bit.ly/UniteCT or for additional information, call 1- 844-864-8328.
May 2021- Reminder
As a reminder for individuals applying for the Renters Rebate and Totally Disabled Program, the income limits for unmarried individuals are $37,600 and $45,800.00 for a married couple. To schedule an appointment, please telephone the Senior Affairs Office at 860-887-5581 extension 6. At this time, we are expanding the intake site to Lincoln Park Housing. COVID-19 precautions
continue to be implemented including social distancing and the need of facial covering. Questions may be directed to 860-887-5581 extension 6.
The Renter’s Rebate Program includes the following requirements for participation:
1. The claimant must have resided in Connecticut for a one-year period of time prior to filling an application.
2. Claimant, or spouse, if domiciled together, must have been 65 years of age by the end of the calendar year preceding the filing period; or be 50 years of age or older and the surviving spouse of a renter, who at the time of his/her death, had qualified and was entitled to tax relief. Persons under 65 years of age who are receiving Social Security or disability benefits deemed comparable by the Secretary of OPM are also eligible (applications filed under the disability provision must be accompanied by current proof of disability.
3. Qualifying income is considered wages, bonuses, commissions, gratuities and fees; self-employment net income; gross Social Security benefits, Federal Supplemental Security income, dividends, interest, annuities; IRA distributions, Black Lung payments; Green Thumb payments; interest resulting from gifts received; Lottery winnings; net rental income, pensions, Railroad Retirement; severance pay, Unemployment Compensation, Workers Compensation, Alimony, etc.
4. The qualifying income guidelines for the calendar year 2020 must not exceed $45,800.00 for a married couple and $37, 600.00 for unmarried individuals.
5. The applicant must provide proof of rent and utilities payments during the 2020 calendar year.
Individuals interested in making application for the Renters Rebate of Elderly and Totally Disabled Programs are requested to contact the Senior Affairs Office at 860-887-5581 ext. 6. The application filing period is April 1st through October 1st.
The COVID-19 restrictions continue to remain in place. Possibly in the near future, face-to-face appointments will again be offered. Until there is an official lifting of those restrictions, I ask that those individuals interested in applying for the Renters Rebate program contact the office, make arrangement to drop off your documents in the Blue Drop Box in the front of the Preston Town Hall, 389 Route 2 (include your name and telephone number on the items) and I will contact you by phone to finalize your application.
Regrettably, the Preston Senior Center will not host the AARP Tax
Assistance Program during this tax season. The COVID-19 pandemic is the
primary reason. BUT existing clients will be encouraged to contact the Rose City Senior Center, 8 Mahan Drive, Norwich to receive assistance with their income tax preparation. NO NEW CLIENTS WILL BE ACCEPTED. Beginning during January, you are encouraged to contact the Rose City Senior Center at 860-889-5960 to schedule an appointment.
For those individuals who are existing clients only:
New to the process is that you will have to go to the Rose City Senior
Center at least 48 hours prior to your appointment to pick-up a booklet to be completed. (This is the same type of information that you would routinely complete at our center). You will need to complete the paperwork and include it with your income tax information. (Do not place your information in a plastic bag as the virus can live longer in that environment). It is suggested that you place your documents in a secure location within your locked vehicle trunk until the time of your appointment.
Drive-thru service will remain the same as last year. You drive up, staff will
take your paperwork out of the trunk of your car, they work on it and give you a call on your cell phone when they have questions or when your income tax is completed. Appointments will be available on Tuesday and Thursday only.
You will also need a cell phone available so that you can be contacted when
the AARP tax preparer completes your document.