The Renter’s Rebate Program includes the following requirement for Participation:
1. The claimant must have resided in Connecticut for a one-year period of time prior to filing an application.
2. Claimant, or spouse, if domiciled together, must have been 65 years of age by the end of the calendar year preceding the filing period; or be 50 years of age or older and the surviving spouse of a renter, who at the time of his/her death, had qualified and was entitled to tax relief. Persons under 65 years of age who are receiving Social Security or disability benefits deemed comparable by the Secretary of OPM are also eligible (applications filed under the disability provision must be accompanied by current proof of disability).
3. Qualifying income is considered wages, bonuses, commissions, gratuities and fees; self-employment net income; gross Social Security benefits, Federal Supplemental Security income, dividends, interest, annuities; IRA distributions, Black Lung payments; Green Thumb payments; interest resulting from gifts received; Lottery winnings; net rental income, pensions, Railroad Retirement; severance pay, Unemployment Compensation, Workers Compensation, Alimony, etc.
4. The qualifying income guidelines for the calendar year 2019 must not exceed $45,100.00 for a married couple and $37,000 for unmarried individuals.
5. The applicant must provide proof of rent and utilities payments during the 2019 calendar year. Individuals interested in making application for the Renters Rebate of Elderly and Totally Disabled Program are requested to contact the Senior Affairs Office at 860-887-5581 ext. 6 for additional instructions. The application filing period is April 1st through October 1st.
Due to the COVID-19 coronavirus, there will be no face-to-face contact for the current application process. The Preston Town Hall has placed a large blue “drop-box” outside of its main entrance for your use. The structure is securely bolted to the concrete. Simply place your information in a sealed envelope and marked: Attention: Fran Minor. Please include your name and phone number with the documents. The Preston Town Hall is located at 389 Route 2, Preston.
For those individuals living at Lincoln Park Housing, please drop-off your information in the office door mail slot. I will contact you by telephone if your paperwork is incomplete or if clarification is needed.
As of this printing, there are no changes to the application filing period.
As a reminder, the application deadline for filing the Elderly and Disabled Homeowner application is May 15th. For individuals currently participating in this program, you would have previously been contacted by the Preston Assessor’s Office indicating a need to reapply for this important benefit. The Town of Preston has placed a “drop Box” outside of its main entrance to assist residents in supplying important information to individual departments. If using the drop-box, please include your name and telephone number in a sealed envelope containing your personal information. Please mark the envelope: Attention: Fran Minor. I will notify you that I am in receipt of your documents.
Good news for individuals who currently participate in the ECTC medical transportation grant. There will be an additional 6 round trips granted to this year’s program. So, if you have already maxed out your rides, you will receive the benefit of scheduling a few more trips. Contact ECTC as you normally would to schedule your medical transportation. Phone 860-848-5910.
For those individuals who received the shingles shot on October 16th at the Preston Senior Center, it is now time for you to receive the second shot in the series. Please call the pharmacy first to ensure that they have the vaccine available for you. If you have any questions regarding whether you received the shot or not, I will be happy to answer your questions. 860-887-5581 x 6.
The qualifying income guidelines for the Elderly and Totally Disabled Tax Relief Program for applications to be filed for the 2019 Benefit year are $37,000.00 for an unmarried individual and $45,100.00 for married persons.
If you are currently participating in the Homeowner Program and need to reapply, you will receive notice from the Preston Assessor’s Office advising you of that requirement. The application-filing period for Homeowners will be February 1, 2020 through May 15, 2020.
You will need to provide proof of all sources of income including but not limited to Social Security, pensions, interest statements, employment, etc. If you filed Income Tax, a copy of the signed and dated document is necessary to provide as well. It is extremely important that you bring all necessary documentation regarding proof of your income when you arrive for your appointment.
Appointments may be scheduled by telephoning 860-887-5581 extension 6. If we are unable to accept your call immediately, please leave your name and telephone along with a brief message regarding the nature of your call. We will return your call as soon as possible.
Please remember that the Assessor’s Office will be forwarding letters to those homeowners who need to reapply this year. If you have never applied for the program or are unsure if you need to reapply, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Questions concerning the Elderly and Totally Disabled Tax Relief Program may also be directed to the Preston Assessor’s Office at 860-887-5581 extension 115.
I will be happy to schedule appointments for the Elderly Homeowner Program which Begins on February 1st. (We cannot accommodate requests to complete your application prior to February 1st.
Appointments may be scheduled for the Preston Town Hall, 389 Route 2 or at the Preston Senior Center, 42 Long Society Road. Once again, to schedule an appointment, the telephone number is 860-887-5581 extension 6.