- Personal Identification and Social Security Number
- Copies of your 2017 Federal and Connecticut tax returns, and
- All 2018 income reports that have been received (SSA-1099 forms, all 1099 forms, W-2 forms, Unemployment Compensation Forms, all other Forms that indicate Federal and/or Connecticut income taxes were paid in 2018), and
- Any documentation showing original cost of sold assets in 2018.
Are you suffering from Hip & Knee Pain ?
Educational seminar with Dr. Stanat of Orthopedic Partners.
Time: 12:30pm – 1:30pm.
SENIOR & DISABLED HOMEOWNERS’ TAX RELIEF
The State of Connecticut offers a state run Elderly Tax Benefit known as the Circuit Breaker. It is for eligible real estate taxpayers with the Town of East Lyme. To apply, you must have reached the age of 65 prior to December 31, 2018 or be totally disabled if under the age of 65. You are applying for a credit on the taxes due on your primary residence in East Lyme. Under the law, Social Security income MUST be declared and the program requires you to provide information regarding all GROSS income received during 2017. The new income limit, including GROSS income and Social Security: $43,900 for married couples and $36,000 for single persons.
LOCAL TAX CREDIT OPTION:
Also, the Town of East Lyme provides on Additional Tax Relief for elderly and totally disabled homeowners. For further information, contact the Assessor’s Office at the Town Hall.
Filing dates for the above programs are February 1, through May 15, 2019.
Applications available at the Assessor’s Office in the East Lyme Town Hall. There is also a Veteran’s Exemption that is available. For more information, contact the Assessor’s Office.
The AARP Tax-Aide program provides tax counseling and preparation for middle to low-income taxpayers with special attention to those people aged 60 and over. This service is free. The Tax Advisors are available for the months of February, March and April on Monday and Friday mornings at 9am beginning February 1st. Appointments must be made by calling the Senior Center. Taxpayers are asked to provide their:
Applications for the Connecticut Energy Assistance Program are being taken at the New London office of TVCCA. Appointments are required. Please call 860-444-0006. The Senior Center office will assist the
Senior and Disabled population of East Lyme with their applications. You must call the Senior Center office to obtain your appointment.
Appointments will be made at Twin Haven and the AHEPA housing complexes for those residents. Watch for notices.
The Renter Rebate Program through the State of CT provides a rebate for renters who are elderly or disabled. Applications for the Renters Rebate Program are available until Oct 1st. Please call the Senior Center for an appointment. In order to receive a renter rebate:
1. An applicant or the spouse must be 65 or older; or be 100% disabled (per Social Security);
or be 50 and a surviving spouse.
2. Must have lived in Connecticut for 1 year.
3. Total 2018 income which includes Social Security must not exceed:
If you collect Social Security, you must provide your SSA1099 for 2018.
4. 35% of the applicant’s annual rent and utility payments must exceed 5% of the applicant’s income.
Proof of income received and rent and utility payments made in calendar year 2017 must be provided.
Appointments will be made at Twin Haven and the AHEPA housing complexes. Watch for notices.